Thursday, December 7, 2023

Sarah under the Weather

              It is winter time in Arcanum, which means it’s cold and flu season for the residents. Some residents get sick and some do not. Most of the residents are fighters, so they’re able to pull through after some time. Some residents have had their annual (flu) vaccines while others rely on natural immunity to fight the common cold and flu. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Micah lives out his life with his family and friends like he should, coping with the cold temperatures and the illnesses going around. He don’t let that stop him in any way, whether if it’s at school, home, or even in his laboratory. He still puts his life on the line to protect the world, help those in need with his high-tech inventions, and still finds the time to get his school work done. One day at school, Micah listens in on his teacher with his friends (Wesley and Sarah) as she gives the daily lessons. Micah and his friends later go to lunch and recess, finishing out the day and going home until the following day.

“Boy, I can’t wait for the winter dance this Saturday!” said Sarah.

“That makes two of us.” responded Micah.

“Make that three.” replied Wesley. Micah and his friends later get dismissed to lunch and sit down together in the cafeteria, talking about the upcoming dance. At recess, Sarah shows and teaches dances to Micah and Wesley, who try them out until they are ordered back to class. After getting dismissed for the day, Micah and Wesley head home and practice dancing after watching Sarah’s demonstration and doing research. The next day in school, Micah and Wesley show up with Sarah absent, going on about their day and repeating the cycle the following day, only for Sarah to be absent again. Micah and Wesley think nothing of it and go on about their day, returning to school the following day with Sarah absent once more.

“Sarah’s been gone for three days. I hope she’s all right.” said Wesley.

“I’ll give her a call once I get home.” responded Micah.

“Let me know how she’s doing.” replied Wesley. Micah and Wesley proceed with their day and head home later on while Sarah and her mother are at a doctor’s office with the doctor performing check-ups on Sarah, who doesn’t feel well at all.

“Sarah, I’m afraid you’ve got the flu. You must stay home for another four days. Take your medicine as prescribed, drink plenty of fluids, and get plenty of rest.” said the doctor.

“What?! But my school’s having a winter dance tomorrow! I don’t want to miss out on it!” responded Sarah worriedly with a hoarse voice.

“I’m sorry Sarah, but you’re going to have to. It’s not worth risking the well-being of others.” replied Sarah’s mother.

“Ok.” said Sarah reluctantly. Sarah and her mother pick up medicine and leave the doctor’s office, arriving home a little while later with Sarah’s mother saying, “All right, Sarah. Take your medicine and go straight to bed.”

“Yes, mom.” responded Sarah sadly. Sarah takes her medicine and lies straight down in her bed with her mother entering her room and placing a thermometer in her mouth and an ice pack on her forehead. Sarah’s mother sits by Sarah’s side for a while and leaves Sarah’s room while saying, “I got to go get dinner ready. Just stay here in your room, ok? I’ll bring you your food.”

“Ok, mom.” responded Sarah. After her mother leaves her room, Sarah picks up her phone and dials it with Micah hearing his Micah Phone ringing just as he was about to pick it up.

“Hello?” asked Micah.

“Hey, Micah? It’s Sarah.” responded Sarah.

“Hey! I was getting ready to call you!” replied Micah.

“I’ve got the flu.” said Sarah.

“Oh. That’s terrible!” responded Micah.

“The doctor says I have to stay home for the next four days, which means I won’t be able to go to the dance tomorrow.” replied Sarah.

“I understand.” said Micah.

“Do you think you could help me get better before the dance?” asked Sarah.

“I’m no doctor, but I’ll see what I can do.” answered Micah. Micah and Sarah disconnect their lines with Micah entering his laboratory and grabbing his bottle of Tiny Water and Giant Water, warping over to Sarah’s house dressed in a safety suit. Micah rings the doorbell with Sarah’s mother answering it and saying, “Hi, Micah! What can I do for you?”

“Hi, Lisa. I hear Sarah’s got the flu. May I see her?” asked Micah. Sarah’s mother observes Micah thoroughly in his safety suit and responds, “I’m glad you prepared. Go on in.” As Sarah lies in her bed, she suddenly hears a knock on her door with her mother asking, “Sarah?” Sarah’s mother subsequently peaks her head in Sarah’s room and says, “You got a visitor.” Micah enters Sarah’s room with Sarah saying, “Boy, am I glad to see you!” Micah shows Sarah his Tiny Water while saying, “I’m going to shrink myself down to microscopic size and enter your body to see what I can find.” Micah then shows Sarah his Giant Water and says, “And when I’m done, I’ll exit your body and restore myself to my normal size.”

“I’m ready.” responded Sarah. Micah takes one gulp of his Tiny Water and shrinks down to the size of an ant, entering Sarah’s body and exploring while asking to himself, “Now, where could the harmful bacteria be lurking?” A group of harmful germs peak out from behind a corner with evil grins on their faces and sneak up behind Micah while he continues to explore Sarah’s body. With the germs inches away from him, Micah finally senses presence and quickly turns around while the germs hide, subsequently shrugging his shoulders and continuing his exploration while the germs come out of hiding and sneak up behind Micah. Micah senses presence again and turns around with the germs quickly hiding again.

“I must be hearing things.” says Micah to himself while continuing his exploration. The germs once again sneak up behind Micah, who turns around and begins fighting them while Sarah’s mother brings dinner into Sarah’s room.

“Here’s some chicken noodle soup for you. It’ll help with the congestion.” says Sarah’s mother while handing Sarah a bowl. Sarah begins eating the soup while Micah continues fighting off the germs, hearing fluids flowing towards them.

“What’s that sound?” asked Micah to himself. Micah suddenly sees a flow of chicken noodle soup flowing right towards him and the germs, who retreat while Micah clings onto one of the muscles of Sarah’s stomach while the germs return and prepare to attack Micah. Micah releases his grip and lands into the pool of chicken noodle soup with the germs hot on his tail, grabbing a noodle and twirling it around while saying, “Oh no you don’t!” Micah dodges an incoming attack from a germ and uses the noodle to lasso it, pulling the germ towards him and boarding it while angrily saying, “Listen here, you rusty bolt! I’m in charge around here! You will do what I say, when I say! If you don’t, I will toss you straight into the immune system! Got it?!” The germ nervously nods frantically with Micah saying, “Ok then! Now, let’s get to work!” Micah rides the germ to a group of them and whistles loudly to them, getting their attention while taunting, “Come and get me, you rusty bolts!” The germs get angry and chase after Micah, who lures his germ away from them for some time. At one point, Micah orders his germ to perform a loop while the group of germs continue chasing him, ending up behind the group with his germ eating whatever group member that comes into its path. As Micah’s germ continues eating the group, Sarah gradually begins to feel better. Micah’s germ consumes the entire group of bad germs some time later with Sarah feeling all better while the germ heads for Sarah’s immune system.

“Wait! Where are you going?” asked Micah. The germ gestures over to Sarah’s immune system with Micah saying, “You don’t have to go there. What’s important is, my friend is all better.” Micah holds out his hand to the germ, who shakes its head and sacrifices itself in Sarah’s immune system, disappearing in an instant and breaking Micah’s heart. After some time alone mourning the loss of the germ, Micah exits Sarah’s body and takes one gulp of his Giant Water, restoring himself to his normal size while still in tears.

“Micah! It’s a miracle! I’m cured! I don’t know how you did it, but you got me all better! Thank you!” says Sarah excitedly while hugging Micah. Micah removes his safety suit and responds, “Glad you’re all better, Sarah.” Micah wipes away his tears and sniffs in mourn with Sarah asking, “What’s wrong, Micah? Did you get the flu?”

“No. I…lost a friend while fighting off the bacteria harming your body.” answered Micah.

“Awww. I’m sorry. Who was it?” asked Sarah.

“It was a germ that I tamed while I was inside your body. It helped me fight off all the bad germs invading your body, and then it sacrificed itself into your immune system.” responded Micah.

“A germ, you say?” asked Sarah.

“I know it’s crazy, but I didn’t think I would grow so attached to it. I wouldn’t blame you if you and the others were to make fun of me right now.” responded Micah.

“Now why would I do that? I’m not one to judge. Plus, you’re my friend. Crazy as your story sounds, I believe every word of it.” replied Sarah. Sarah’s mother enters Sarah’s room while asking, “How are you feeling, Sarah?”

“I’m all better, mom! Thanks to Micah!” responds Sarah while looking at Micah.

“Hey, Micah! Why the long face?” asked Sarah’s mother.

“He got attached to a germ that helped him out and sacrificed itself into my immune system in the end.” said Sarah.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Micah.” said Sarah’s mother.

“Thanks.” responded Micah.

“Stay strong, all right? Time heals all wounds.” said Sarah’s mother. Micah nods and leaves Sarah’s house, warping himself back home while Sarah’s mother calls the doctor and arranges for him to stop by the house the following day. The next day, the doctor enters Sarah’s house and performs check-ups on Sarah while subsequently saying, “The flu’s gone, Sarah. It’s not everyday someone gets over it this quickly.”

“Does this mean I’m free to be around other people again?” asked Sarah.

“Free as a bird.” answered the doctor. Sarah looks at her mother, who smiles at her with Sarah saying, “Winter dance, here I come!” That night, Micah, Wesley, and Sarah all hang out with each other at the dance with Sarah talking to Wesley about her experience with the flu.

“So Micah shrunk himself down into microscopic size, entered your body, and combated the harmful bacteria?” asked Wesley.

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” asks Sarah while gesturing her hand over to Micah. Wesley looks at Micah, who nods with Wesley saying, “Micah, I am so lucky to have you as my best friend.”

“And I’m lucky to have you as my best friend too, Wesley.” responded Micah.

“Oh! One more thing. He tamed one of the germs invading my body, and it helped him fight off the bacteria.” said Sarah.

“It takes germs to get rid of germs. Good thinking, Micah!” said Wesley.

“Micah, however, ended up growing attached to the thing and it sacrificed itself into my immune system, which Micah had a hard time coping with.” said Sarah.

“It sacrificed itself for the good of mankind, Micah. Just remember, great sacrifice leads to great reward.” says Wesley while placing his hand on Micah’s shoulder. Micah and his friends enter the dance floor and start dancing to the music playing, having the time of their lives.

 

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment